List of topics to be covered
- Fick's first and second laws of diffusion.
- Entropy, Single component system, Clausius-Clapeyron equation.
- Solidification, Ideal and binary solutions, Free energy calculation, Activity, Real solutions.
- Ordered phases, Intermediate phases, Equilibrium in heterogenous systems
- Simple phase diagram, Systems with a miscibility gap, ordered alloys, Gibbs phase rule
- Effect of temperature on solid solubility, equilibrium vacancy concentration
- Influence of interfaces on equilibrium, Ternary equilibrium, kinetics of phase transformations
- Diffusion in dilute alloys (analysis of relaxation, resonance technique, correlation effect, impurity diffusion coefficient, diffusion with traps)
- Diffusion in a concentration gradient (Darken's equation, Gibbs Duhem equation)
- Diffusion controlled growth (solution of precipitates, planar precipitates, proeutectoid ferrite)
- Martensitic transformation and its characteristics, Shape change in martensitic transformation
- Massive transformation
- Nucleation (homogenous, heterogenous, Becker-Doring theory, nucleation at grain boundaries, nucleation at a three-grain junction)
- Precipitation sequence (Guinier-Preston zones, various theta precipitates, etc.)
- Phase transformation (general theory, problems with the theory, Zener's method, etc.)